I’ve had questions about how my 6-day training week looks like, especially since the day off is Sunday, which is typically people’s long run days. Since switching coaches my schedule has changed so I will talk about how my schedule use to look and how it looks now. A quick summery would be I used to do my long run on Monday and long ride Saturday and now I do my long run Wednesday and long ride on Saturday.
Like my coach said we don't try to fit a 7 day training schedule into 6. My coach in college was national coach of the year a couple times and was asked once what made BYU cross-country such a great team. He replied without hesitation, "We take Sundays off." Having one day off a week, whatever that day may be for you, is important to physically, mentally, and emotionally rejuvenate from training. David Tilbury-Davis has said it's an important to give time to your support team since they are the ones that sacrifice on the other days of the week.
Old schedule: These are examples of workouts that I would do. Obviously it was not exactly like this.
Monday (long run day)
- Long run (13-20miles) Z2 negative split
- Easy swim- continuous 1 hr
- Hard bike ride (2hrs) Warm up, 20 min Z3, long hills Z4 2-3 min recovery between, 15 min Z3, cool down
- Hard swim- warm up, 20X50, cool down
- Hard Swim- Warm up, 6X500 at IM goal pace, cool down
- Run- 1.5hr hilly run working the up hills
- Hard Bike-1 hr warm up, 10X6 min efforts high Z3/low Z4, 2 min recovery between, 30 min cool down
- Run- Devils ladder-400,800,1200,1600,1200,800,400
- Swim- 45 minute recovery swim
- Long ride- 100 mile bike IM pace efforts throughout (practice nutrition)
- Swim- Warm up, 20 min IM pace, 10 min easy, 10 min half IM pace, 10 min easy
- FAMILY TIME!
New coach schedule:
- Hard Swim (1 hr)
- Tempo Run (1hr)
- Hard bike (1.5hrs)
- Swim medium (1hr)
- Weight Training with Eric Oliver
Wednesday (Long run day)
- Two runs or just one long run (2-2.5hrs)
- Easy Swim(30min)
- Hard swim (1 hr)
- Easy bike (1.5 hrs)
- Hard run (1 hr)
- Hard bike (1.5hr)
- Hard swim (1hr)
- Endurance Run (1hr)
Saturday (Long ride day)
- Easy Swim (30min)
- Long Bike (3-5hrs)
- Short run (30min)
- FAMILY TIME!