Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Squash "Fries"

So, I've been meaning to blog about these for a while now but haven't "gotten around to it." My sister asked me for a good recipe for yellow squash this week since she recieved 6 and I told her about these addicting things! Then she posted on facebook about them and people wanted the recipe so I figured I'd better blog about it or I won't get the credit! ;)

Well, these all started because I had 20 lbs of zucchini and several yellow squash to eat. HOW DO YOU EAT THAT MUCH SQUASH?!?!? Solution: zucchini/squash "fries" Seriously beware these are addicting...

Ingredients:
1/2 cup almond meal
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
3-4 zucchini (depending on their size)

Instructions:
1. preheat oven to 475.
2. cut zucchini in 3in x .5in strips
3. beat egg and in a separate bowl mix almond meal, cheese, garlic powder and salt.
4. dip each strip in egg and then coat with the almond meal cheese mixture.
5. place on grease cookie sheet.
6. bake for 10 minutes, flip the fries and bake for 10 more. This makes sure that both sides will crisp up.

You can do this with zucchini or yellow squash. If you want to do it with other harder squashes like pumpkin or sweet potato you need to add a step. Cut the squash up and then let them soak in a water bath for 10-30minutes. Then dry them completely before proceeding. Also, they will need to cook slightly longer and you should cut them slightly thinner.


I do not have pictures of these lovely creations unfortunately because they are all eaten and were very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment