Thursday, September 5, 2013

Black Bean Chicken Chili on Cornbread Waffles

Fall is coming! With these cold mornings here's a recipe to welcome it!

So, I'm sure that many of you have seen the chili on cornbread waffles on Pintrest. I wanted to make my own rendition of them and didn't have any chili, so I made some delicious chili thick black bean soup.

The waffles were easy enough. This recipe makes 4 waffle squares and is around 400 calories total, so 100 calories per waffle square.
1/4 cup Pamela's
1/4 cup cornmeal
2 tbs. brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg white
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk

Can you tell I'm on a buttermilk kick lately? And also trying to cycle through some of our canned foods!
So, just mix the dry then add the wet to it, mix. Let it sit for a few minutes than slap it in a waffle iron!

The soup is splended. I did this from things I had in my cupboard/fridge. I really wanted to add some red bell pepper and fresh cilantro, but we are going out of town soon, so I didn't want to hit up the grocery store. I recommend it if you have it or are going to the store anyway!

Ingredients
2 cans black beans
1 can chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes with jalapano
2 cups cooked diced chicken (I cooked this with a little montreal seasoning I get at Costco)
1 tbs corn starch or more if you want it a little thicker
1/2 onion
2 garlic cloves diced
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried cilantro (if you have fresh add it at the end on top of your serving)
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
(1 bell pepper diced)
(cilantro)

Cook 1/2 diced onion and 2 diced garlic cloves in a large stock pot for 4ish minutes (also put the bell pepper in here if you have one). If you have a non-stick pan then you can do this with just a spray of pam.

Put one drained and rinsed can of black beans in blender with 1 can chicken stock. Blend till smooth.

Drain and rinse the other can of black beans and add blender contents and canned beans to the pot.

Add tomatoes, chicken, cumin, chili powder, salt, dried cilantro, and vinegar to pot.

Scoop some liquid our from the pot with a cup. add 1 tbs. corn starch and mix till smooth. Add this slurry back into the soup and bring to a simmer. Let it simmer for 1 hourish.

Add the cilantro right before you serve on top so it doesn't wilt.

Sorry no pictures of the soup! I guess I ate it too fast to post! next time I make it I'll add pictures in!





This recipe not suit your fancy? look forward to these others....


gluten free graham's!

gluten free calzones!

No comments:

Post a Comment