Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Have to feed these two too!



So, training is also all about nutrition that you put into your body! I have to eat gluten free and it's hard to find delicious affordable food many times especially things that are bready/carby. So, when I developed this delicious gluten free chicken pot pie I was SO excited to try it! Because it was SO good and only 307 calories per "serving." I say "serving" because it's a serving that most people would be plenty fine with (1/4 a 9" by 9" pan), but as I am training and nursing I need half the pan!

As this is the first food blog post I've ever done, I didn't take enough pictures! I also wasn't planning on posting this until my sister asked me for the recipe! She also has an awesome working out/foodie blog here.

So onto the actual recipe! When I did eat gluten I made a version with a biscuit-type topping. It's not the typical pie with pie crust and what not. It's much easier and faster than that!

So, again I didn't plan on blogging this, the only reason I took the picture was because I was sending this to my sister!

4 servings

Ingredients

1/2 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
3 tbs cornstarch
2 cups chicken broth
2-14oz cans mixed vegetables
1 cup cooked chopped chicken
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/2 cup milk (skim)

Topping
3/4 cup pamela's baking mix (you can use a different baking mix, but this is the best gluten free one I've found), I will attempt to make this with just flours, no mix soon!
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 egg white
2 tbs. melted margarine

1. Heat oven to 400F. In a saucepan heat olive oil. Add chopped onion and cook until tender. Add 3 tbs cornstartch. With a whisk, slowly whisk in chicken broth. If you do this too quick you will end up with cornstarch chunks in your mix. If you'd rather, you can always add the cornstarch to a little bit of the broth and make a slurry and then add the slurry into the pan with the other broth. Make sure you bring this mixture to a boil so it will thicken up! Add in veggies, chicken, salt and milk. If you want a little home "soup" flavor you can also add in a little thyme.

2. Pour all the contents of the pan into a square casserole dish. You can stop here and refrigerate it so all you have to do is pull it out and make the topping and stick it in the oven. I usually do this now that I have a daughter!

3. In a small bowl all all the topping ingredients and mix just until blended. "Pour" the mixture over the casserole. Spread it out over the top. It's fine if you don't get it to go to the edges of the pan. Alternatively you can just make little biscuit "plops" on top.

4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is browned and cooked all the way through.


Hope you enjoy! Let me know if you have any questions!

Here are the nutrition facts for 1 serving. This recipe has 4 servings.
You can always make your own chicken stock to decrease the sodium content.

No comments:

Post a Comment