Friday, August 22, 2014

Age-group Nationals Olympic Distance

Quick Summary:

  • Qualified for World's (Chicago 2015)
  • 1st triathlon to not have the fastest run split (missed by 11 seconds)
  • 4th in division
  • Swim goal 25 (24:34)
  • Bike goal 1 hr (1:05:08)
  • Run goal 37:12 (37:25)
  • Support me in raising awareness for Locks of Love and on my journey to kill it at Kona! Or just watch me make a fool of myself in videos ;) Go to: http://www.gofundme.com/cvv70k

When you are training for an Ironman distance race (140.6), an olympic distance is less than 1/4 of my training race. I was planning on doing this with my coach/sister but her plans ended up changing and my husband couldn't come because of work commitments. Fortunately I have met an amazing training buddy Allison!

Allison, family, Emi, and I all left after work on Thursday. We had a nice drive where the kids slept (me included). Got to Chicago and stayed at TJ's cousin's house. Thanks for her amazing hospitality!
The next morning Allison and I went out on a little ride and run. So So So fun to train with you and hang out and travel ect!
Wish we both did this a little more on the trip. I don't like my theme of doing races on little sleep!

 We got to the race venue, checked in and went to the hotel.
 I brought Emi and my dinner chicken and pasta, same as every pre-race meal since high school. Allison and TJ went out for something while we ate and I put Emi down for bed. She went down ok but that is where it ended. She woke up several times in the middle of the night which if she ever does at home (which she almost never does) she just rolls back over and goes to sleep. Apparently the hotel room was too stimulating and interesting and she wanted to explore. The morning came to early!

We got to the race site with 10 minutes to set up transition! More than double the time we had in Muncie! 

Then we had to sit and wait forever! Transition closed at 7:30 and my wave didn't go off until 9:30 and Allison was 20 minute later! TJ watched Emi so I could just sit and chill. She loved running around everywhere.

Allison and I went by the QR tent and saw Mac (my sister's QR contact that wants to get me on a QR bike). Allison had the great idea to do a video with Mac. Then Mac was so gracious to give me some QR gear to give to people who pledge to my go fund me campaign. http://www.gofundme.com/cvv70k

I then had to sprint over to use the bathroom and warmup. At the dock I was the only one in my age group lined up without a wetsuit. I should have looked at the swim course because it turned left and I went right for a little bit. I didn't feel like the course was marked well, but that was probably my horrible siting. Transition was a lot of running where I was able to pass more people.

I was out on my bike! I think there was more wind and more false flats than I was prepared for. I kept trying to channel my inner Allison. She's amazing on the bike! Finished the bike a little slower than I wanted but onto my part of the race!
Looks like Emi was our running the course with me! My first split was 6:05, 5:58, 5:59, 6:09, 5:59, 5:41, 1:34. I got to run the last mile with a guy. It was fun to actually race someone running since I haven't done that in a while. I was happy with how things turned out. 

 Thank you SO much TJ for watching Emi even though she got so exhausted, tired, and cranky.
 Hopefully the last race I get to do on this bike. It finally got a name this race, the flying tomato, thanks to TJ!

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get where I am now. Thank you to Allison and TJ for the ride and putting up with me and Emi! Thanks SO much to Awesome Allison for all the training and talks and fun! Thanks again to TJ for taking care of Emi race day so I could focus on the race and have a good day and for being a master sherpa! Thanks to my awesome coach/sister Meredith Gardner for the pep talks and killer workouts. Last, thanks to Scott, my rock and companion forever for putting up with my training and long Saturdays!
 There was a little craziness with our flight after the race. They rebooked me on a flight the next morning but I didn't have enough food/milk for Emi so I asked if there was anything else they could do. We ended up getting booked on a flight out of Chicago and were put on a stretch limo down to Chicago (1.5 hr drive). It's amazing how a horrible thing turned into a huge blessing! She was able to get a good nap on the limo drive which she wouldn't have on the plane and we got in 2 hours earlier to Boston!
 First day in Maine she ran right into the water after church in her dress!
 We go blueberry picking almost everyday when we are there. Blueberries are her favorite food and she was eating them right off the bush.
 So so cold in the water but it's too fun!
Mallows! and fire on the beach fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment