Sunday, November 30, 2014

Religious Ramblings

I learn almost all my lessons through triathlon and my daughter. The other day Scott and I were watching Emi explore and she would keep getting so close to the edge of the stairs and leaning over or some other precarious position that would make us worry. She never fell or hurt herself but could have if we were not there watching. We kept wondering why she would get close to this line! It would be so much easier as parents if she didn't put herself close to the "line of danger," She could have much more fun with her other toys etc. and wouldn't have to accept the consequences of falling.
 
Tired to get her to stand close to the edge like she usually does, but of course she wouldn't here! Don't judge me for the next couple pictures, I'm not a horrible mom!

I think this is sometimes what God thinks when he watches us here. When we get close to "the line" or breaking his commandments he probably cringes just like we do when we see Emi put herself in danger. How much more does he cringe though knowing that our choices will effect eternity and Emi's probably just mean a scraped arm or little bump. Just like Emi we can have so much more fun being away from that line, we have so much more freedom when we are not putting ourselves in danger.
She climbs on everything and gets into everything. This is her "Oh, no! Mom caught me" look.

I don't care what your definition of "the line" is. I think we all have different lines in our lives and we all define different lines in our lives. Whatever your "lines" are though stay away! Save God the grief and anxiety of seeing us near those lines... I sure wish Emi would :)

Yes, I was holding that stool in place so it wouldn't slip and she would face plant on the counter. 

On a separate but still slightly religious note I've been listening and reading many different articles on how to become better all around as well as athlete, more productive, etc. One common thing I have run into is meditation about how you want your day to go in the morning and then a reflection on it in the evening. These articles have been completely unreligous in nature. All of them have made me think about a sermon given by David A. Bednar "Pray Always."

"At the end of our day, we kneel again and report back to our Father. We review the events of the day and express heartfelt thanks for the blessings and the help we received. We repent and, with the assistance of the Spirit of the Lord, identify ways we can do and become better tomorrow."

I just keep realizing that if we do all the things that a religious life teaches us to do, we are doing all the "secular" scientific proven theories to make our lives better etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment